The Publishing Department publishes more than 12 titles of which our flagship is the South African Medical Journal (SAMJ), we distribute the SAMJ to more than 15 000 doctors. Titles include: SAMA Insider, the African Journal of Health Professions Education (AJHPE) and the South African Journal of Bioethics and Law (SAJBL), just to name a few.Medical professionals regularly receive at least one of our respected journals.
We also publish the South African Medicine Formulary (SAMF), a joint initiative with the University of Cape Town’s Division of Clinical Pharmacology.
The Team provides journal publishing services to several leading professional and academic societies in South Africa.
The Publishing Department comprises of three components, namely Editorial/Content, as well as Operations and Sales.
Our goal is to;
- Publish relevant and contemporary research, as well as support academic institutes to share knowledge that leads to improvements in medical practice and healthcare outcomes, across the nation.
Our mission is to;
- Promote the generation and dissemination of evidence in support of better health
- Strengthen academic medicine in South Africa
- Campaign for better use of evidence in policy making
- Prioritise building capacity among young researchers
Unique selling propositions
- Largest Distribution audience in South Africa
- ABC Accredited – Currently we distribution to more than 15 000 doctors
- All members are HPCSA Registered Professionals
- Reputable brands
- South African Medical Journal (SAMJ) - Publishing since 1884
- South African Medicine Formulary (SAMF)
- CPD Accreditation Program
- HPCSA accredited journals, allowing for CPD compliance
SAMA members have the benefit of 11 journals* at their disposal, the flagships being the official South African Medical Journal (SAMJ) and leading in-practice monthly, Continuing Medical Education.In addition to seven affiliated specialty publications, the stable also includes the monthly non-clinical membership magazine, SAMA Insider, and the patient information periodical, The Waiting Room*