The SAMA PhD Supplementary Scholarship Programme is intended to encourage postgraduate research, specifically with a view to promote research and development in the medical field in South Africa.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of R100 000 as well as one year’s tuition fees. Applications are only accepted annually between 1 August and 30 September and any applications received outside of these dates will not be considered. Applicants will be short listed for interviews and will be contacted in this regard by 30 November.
The Scholarship is awarded on merit to the successful applicant who must be a South African citizen and a graduate of any university in South Africa. The applicant should have started their PhD study one year prior to the application for this scholarship as the Bursary Committee also considers the progress made in the first year of the applicant’s PhD. The main selection criteria is the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for South Africa’s research programme.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form together with a passport size photograph (electronic submissions should include a colour copy scan of the ID photo if possible).
- Abbreviated curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
- Letter of intent (explaining motives for applying).
- Proof of registration with academic institution.
- Title of project and short abstract of research project (approximately 500 words).
- Letter of recommendation by two supervisors.
The SAMA Medical Education Bursary Committee
P O Box 74789
Emailed to the Committee Coordinator, Ms Karlien Pienaar
email@example.com or contact 012-481 2097