SAMA PhD SUPPLEMENTARY SCHOLARSHIP – INFORMATION
The SA Medical Association wishes to encourage postgraduate research in the medical field, specifically with a view to promoting research and development in medicine for medical doctors in South Africa.
SAMA is therefore proud to offer the SAMA PhD Supplementary Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded on merit to the successful applicant who must be a South African citizen and a graduate (MBChB or equivalent degree) of any university in South Africa who has started their PhD study one year prior to applying for this scholarship. The SAMA Bursary Committee will also consider the progress made during the candidate’s first year of the PhD study.
The main selection criteria is the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for South Africa's research programme.
The main selection criteria is the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for South Africa’s research programme.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of R100 000 as well as one year’s tuition fees.
The application must contain the following:
- Completed application form together with a passport size photograph attached;
- 1 Typed copy of curriculum vitae (max of 2 pages);
- Proof of registration with academic institution and statutory council;
- 1 – 2 page cover letter explaining your motives for applying i.e. letter of intent;
- Title of project and short abstract of your research project (approx 500 words);
- Brief outline of the methodology you will use; and
- Two letters of recommendation by supervisors.
Applications will only be received between 6 August 2018 and 5 October 2018 and must be addressed to
The SAMA Bursary Committee
P O Box 74789
Contact: 012- 481 2097
Successful candidates will be contacted by the latest on 5 December 2018, for an interview (in person or linked electronically).
Click here to download a bursary application form.