* The South African Medical Association bursary is intended to support South African citizens in South Africa and attend medical school in South Africa. The Bursary is to the value of R20 000 per annum and is intended to assist needy medical students who have good academic records.
- Only applications from South African citizens in respect of medical studies (MB ChB or MB BCh) at a South African university will be considered.
- Application forms may be downloaded from our website from 15 January 2019 via www.samedical.org -> About us -> Bursaries & Scholarships.
- Financial need is important when applications are considered. Historically disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Answer all questions in full, and enclose two recent testimonials with your application. Applicants are also expected to furnish a copy of their previous exam results before the closing date.
- This bursary is intended to supplement the tuition fee and will be paid directly into the student’s university account. It may not be utilized for accommodation, books or any other related fees.
- All students are requested to submit certified proof of financial circumstances before bursaries are awarded. The continuation of the bursary will be conditional upon the continued pass rate of the student. The first portion of the bursary in the amount of R10 000.00 will be paid into the student’s account at the University after receipt of successful registration at the University and the previous year’s final examination results. The remaining portion of R10 000.00 will be paid after the mid-year examination results have been received. This bursary will be non-exclusive although other bursaries that the recipient receives, need to be declared. The bursary will only be granted to students from the 2nd year up to the 4th year of studies.
- SAMA will contact the universities with regard to bursaries to 1st year students and advise all 1st year students to ensure that they have apply with the universities of their choice timeously. SAMA will not accept any 1st year student applications. The process of selection for bursaries to 1st year students will be finalized by 30 April 2019.
- Only 2nd and 3rd year students are permitted to apply directly to SAMA between 15 January 2019 and 15 March 2019. Applications received before or after these dates will not be considered under any circumstances. The process of selection for bursaries to 2nd and 3rd year students will be finalized by 30 April 2019 and the successful candidates will be contacted telephonically.
- Applicants who have not received any notification by 1 May 2019 may assume that their application has been unsuccessful. The decision of the Bursaries Selection Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into with regard to unsuccessful applications. Due to the large number of applications received it will not be possible to acknowledge receipt of applications, or to advise all applicants of the outcome. For this reason only successful candidates will be advised.
Post applications to: The Bursaries Officer, The South Africa Medical Association, P O Box 74789, Lynnwood Ridge 0040 OR email to the Bursary Assistant, Ms Grace Baloyi on firstname.lastname@example.org
MRS K PIENAAR
Click here to download a bursary application form.