Continued Professional Development
A number of years ago, the CPD system was introduced in South Africa by the Health Professions Council of SA.CPD - meaning Continuing Professional Development.
Doctors who wished to maintain their Registration with the Council had to upkeep a specific number of CPD points as was instructed by the Council.
The purpose of CPD is “to assist health professionals to maintain and acquire new and updated levels of knowledge, skills and ethical attitudes that will be of measurable benefit in professional practice and to enhance and promote professional integrity” – this was taken from the CPD Guideline of the HPCSA.
The SA Medical Association is one of the institutions that have been appointed by the Medical and Dental Professions Board of the Health Professions Council of SA to review and approve CPD applications.
Online CPD Manager - free to all SAMA members
As per CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT GUIDELINES FOR THE HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS APPROVED: APRIL 2009:
- You are required to obtain 60 CEU points within 24 months after completion of your Community Service/HPCSA registration.
- 10 of the 60 points have to be obtained for ethics.
- It is recommended that you acquire 30 points (of which 5 should be for ethics) within the first 12 months to make the process manageable.
- You will not receive a CPD Compliance Audit within 24 months after completion of your Community Service/HPCSA registration. This is deemed a "grace period".
- After the lapse of the 24 month period, you may be selected for an HPCSA compliance audit at any time which means that your current CEU balance at any date should equal 60 points (of which 10 should be for ethics)
South African SAMA members
Please take note of the following changes effective as of the 1 February 2022:
HPCSA CPD certificates will no longer be issued to HPCSA professionals. A template will be completed after each activity by the service provider of the event/activity and sent through to the HPCSA for capturing of points.
The new process will then automatically upload the accredited CPD event/activity points to the HPCSA medical professionals profile.
- The new process alleviates the burden on professionals to keep track of certificates and allows automatic update of your CPD points directly to the HPCSA.
- The new process has no administrative burden on the medical professional but rather on the service provider, providing the CPD activity.
- Any discrepancies of point allocation can be discussed with the service provider of the event/activity.
Contact Us For More Information : email@example.com
International SAMA members
The Online CPD Manager allows you to download your SAMA annual congress CPD attendance certificate in PDF for submission to your International Council.
Frequently asked questions about the online CPD manager : Visit mpconsulting.co.za
Information obtained from mpconsulting.co.za