The Complete CPT® for South Africa (CCSA) consists of the American Medical Association's Physicians' Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®), which is a systematic listing and coding of procedures and services performed by medical practitioners. Linked to these procedures and services is the Medicare Resource-based Relative Value Scale, which consist of relative value units for facilities and non-facilities, where appropriate.
Each procedure or service is identified with a five-digit code. The use of CPT® codes simplifies the reporting of services. With this coding and recording system, the procedure or service rendered by the medical practitioner is accurately defined.
Inclusion of a descriptor and its associated specific five-digit identifying code number in CPT® is generally based upon the procedure being consistent with contemporary medical practice and being performed by many medical practitioners in clinical practice in multiple locations.
The main body of the material is listed in the following six sections:
- Evaluation / Management 99201-99499
- Anaesthesia 00100-01999
- Surgery 10040-69990
- Radiology 70010-79999
- Pathology / Laboratory 80048-89398
- Medicine 90281-99607
Within each section are subsections with anatomic, procedural, condition, or description subheadings. The procedures and services with their identifying codes are presented in numeric order with one exception - the entire Evaluation and Management section (99201-99499) has been placed at the beginning of the listed procedures. These items are used by most medical practitioners in reporting a significant portion of their services. The Medicine (procedures) section follows on the section for Pathology and Laboratory. A sub-section Special Services and Reportsappears at the end of the Medicine section and contains, amongst others, information on After Hour Services and Travel Costs.
The 2020 SAMA electronic Complete CPT® for South Africa (CCSA) is available Implementation dated: 1 January 2020.
The 2020 updated programme includes:
- All the 2018 and 2019 CPT procedural codes
- All modifiers applicable to CPT
- Easy to use search functionality
- ICD-10 codes based on the ICD-10 Master Industry Table added for convenience
Please note that a separate eICD-10 Browser is available. This product contains the 2014 ICD-10 Master Industry Table from the Department of Health with the 2013 PMB (prescribed minimum benefits) list linked to ICD-10 codes. Another feature of that product is that you can search on common names of diseases for example Jungle fever. Refer to A95.0.
The SAMA eCCSA is a Windows based program and requires the following operating system to run and install on:
- Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10
- Window's .NET framework (will install automatically if not already on your computer)
- A valid SAMA licence activation key
If you are a SAMA member please ensure you are logged on before continuing to be eligible for the discounted rate.
The purchase process consists of the following steps for CCSA books and eCCSA Browser
- Completed the Invoice Information
- Please provide your contact information
- Select the number of units (book sets) you require the amount due will be calculated depending on the postage/delivery method you require
- Select the payment method either by Credit Card or by EFT
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Control the contact and invoice information and payment summary
- Upon clicking the continue button below your transaction information will be stored and marked as pending
- Please email your proof of payment to email@example.com or fax to 012 481 2117
- Once the payment proof has been received you will receive confirmation that your transaction has been processed and finalised.
- Confirm your Order
Continue To Purchase
Click here to continue
A product key will be made available to unlock the licence
For assistance with downloading and activation of the product please follow the following link to the How to Guides -
This Windows Program will update with new content (when available) every time you open the program.
Please take note that this program can only run on Windows. Apple users will not be able to download this program.
The eCCSA program has a two year licence period valid from 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2021. ( Product available from July 2019 for implementation on 1 January 2020).
Should you purchase the product within this allocated time period, the licence will only remain valid for the remainder of the above mentioned two year period. A grace period of two months will apply, thus the program will remain functional to January until end of February 2022.
It should be noted that every effort should be made to code as accurately as possible even if third party funders do not grant benefits for all services rendered. In these cases patients should be held responsible for payment for services. Please remember that third parties may elect not to directly remuneration the medical practitioner for the services rendered and make the payment for the service (even at the benefit amount) directly to the patient (their member).
2020 CCSA Flat File
We have two types of contracts, namely the Multi-user and the VAR Agreements. You will need to sign one of the agreements, to obtain the 2020 CCSA Flat File in Excel Format.
Two types of licenses are available:
- Multi-user agreement
- Intended for internal use only, such as a medical schemes.
- Value Added Reseller (VAR) Agreement
- Intended for entities wishing to integrate the eCCSA into their own software product, and then sell that integrated product to their customers.
To obtain the CCSA Flat File, please contact the SAMA Coding Division on 012 4812073 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Which licence would you like to purchase?
- Number of users that will have access to the CCSA information?
Pricing depends on the number of users and also on the type of licence required.
Please direct any coding queries to our Medical Coding Division via email email@example.com or on 012 481 2073 and we will gladly assist you. Please note that all non-SAMA members should communicate via email.
For any Computer / IT related queries, please contact SOSiT via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAMA's Medical Coding Division