Modifier 0017 (Refer to item 0131)
Injections administered by practitioners: When desensitisation, intravenous, intramuscular or subcutaneous injections are administered by the practitioner him/herself or nursing professional in his/her employ, to patients who attend the consulting rooms, a first injection forms part of the consultation/visit and only all subsequent injections as part of a planned series of injections for the same condition should be charged according to item 0131 (not chargeable together with a consultation item)
- Please refer to item 0131: Appropriate for second and subsequent injections that form part of planned course of injections for the same condition
- Please note that a single injection administered during the course of a consultation forms part of the consultation
- Item 0131 = 50% of 15-minute office consultation/visit is appropriate if an injection was administered by the doctor personally or by a nursing professional in his/her employ.
- Appropriate if a doctor personally administers a flu injection or it was administered by a nursing professional in his/her employ.
- The nursing professional is not entitled to render their own account for the service
- Not appropriate to add modifier 0017 to a consultation item